You have decided to venture into the wondrous world of Twitter. You get there and you follow all your favorite celebrities and business inspirations. Then you look to add your friends into the mix and it’s not so easy to find them. In this article, I will explain how you can currently utilize your Facebook friends list to link up with them on twitter.
Calling Facebook and Twitter! Why isn’t this easy to do?
I came across this topic when trying to do the same thing, thinking it would be easy, but for some reason this was not a match made in heaven. Hopefully in the not to distant future this will be implemented as “easy to do” and this article will be obsolete.
First Things First
Twitter utilizes your email address book as the primary way to find your friends who are using twitter. Use Twitters “Who To Follow” link on the top navigation. Go to the tab “Invite Friends” and select from one of the email clients that you use. Currently the list is Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail & Messenger, AOL, and LinkedIn. If you have an account with one of these sites, use this service to start linking with friends. In many cases, you may not use any of these services as your primary email service.
Enter in Facebook
Even if you do use one of the services listed above, you may have more contacts on Facebook than in your email address book. We can utilize our Facebook account contacts by importing then in to a Yahoo account and then importing those Yahoo contacts into your Twitter account. Twitter then does the work to see which of your friends actually have Twitter accounts. Follow that? Let me take you step by step.
- You will need to have a Yahoo account in order to do this. If you do not have one, it only takes minutes to create one. Once you have that set up, log in to Yahoo.
- Navigate into Yahoo Mail and click on “Contacts” on the left hand column.
- Find the area that says: “Import your Contacts from other accounts to Yahoo!” and click on that link.
- On the next page, select the Facebook link and follow the steps to import your Facebook contacts. Voila! There are all your contacts and email addresses.
- Now all we have to do is log in to Twitter, go to the “Who To Follow” at the top, then “Find Friends” tab and import all your contacts from Yahoo.
It’s a bit of a roundabout, yes, but its a solution many people have been looking for as neither Twitter nor Facebook make it easy to link together.