Have you ever felt lost because you didn’t have your trusty bookmarks easily accessible?
Maybe you are at a friends house, a work computer, or have multiple computers. If you haven’t heard about it already, social bookmarking is a great tool for accessing your bookmarks on any computer whenever and wherever.
My favorite social bookmarking service to use is delicious.com.
Delicious is a social bookmarking service that allows you to tag, save, manage and share Web pages all in one place. With emphasis on the power of the community, Delicious greatly improves how people discover, remember and share on the Internet.
Social bookmarking is a way for Internet users to rank and store websites, blogs, articles, videos and other types of website content.
Here are some reasons why I like delicious.com:
- Browser Plug-In- Makes it easy to save sites (tag button) or see your bookmarks in the sidebar (blue button) with the Browser Plug-In (currently for Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Google Chrome.
- Tags Feature 1- You can assign as many “tags” to each bookmark and then sort by each tag later for organization. (so for example, say i am searching for a used honda accord, and I found multiple sites I wanted to check in with from time to time, I would assign each bookmark with the tag of “used honda accord.” When I want to go back to these sites later on, all I have to do is go to my delicious account and sort by that tag)
- Tags Feature 2- Search what others on Delicious are searching for by doing a search for “used honda accord.” This is a powerful feature and an amazing way to stay up to date on your favorite topics and research.
- Bundle Your Tags- You can further organize your tags by bundling them together in categories (car, house, investments, news, etc.)
- Social-ize with Friends, Family & Colleagues- An amazing feature about delicious is the ability to share your bookmarks with friends, family & colleagues around the world. For example, say you are a teacher and want your students to visit 5-10 sites on a list you have organized, just create an organized list of links and share the link with the students.
Delicious has many powerful features including networks, subscriptions, tags, tag bundles, and more.
Help It Help You
Once you start using your account, you can utilize some of the extras on the site. For example you can start a “subscription” for your favorite topics to check-in on and see what others have been bookmarking using those same tags.
I encourage you to open an account (it’s free) and give it a try. If you use it, you will see it is a tool that just makes life a little easier.
Here’s a cool video explaining social bookmarking “in plain english” :